16 November 2012

How Dare You

There is no review this week. I was told Thursday evening that girls between the ages of 10 and 16 do not read books over 200 pages. I was told that I write short, inconsequential books for girls between the ages of 10 and 16. My first thought "How dare you!" Granted, my emotions tend to make my memory foggy. It wasn’t meant in that tone, but this isn’t the first time that this fellow has made a comment to that effect. He explains that his audience isn’t the typical reader. His audience prefers deep books. Every time I bite my tongue. Yes. I write science fiction. I don’t claim that it is literary, but I don’t appreciate it being brushed off completely. Besides, I purposefully try to write for an older audience. I am writing for people who don't want to read about child heroes who can't rely on any of the adult characters. If teenagers enjoy my books, I won't complain. But I am not writing with them in mind.

There is an underlying thought that if something isn’t based in real life, that it is considered more fluffy. I have mentioned in another post that the genre doesn’t matter. Books are a hot topic. Think TWILIGHT. I don’t know how many times I hear people bashing that book. But it doesn’t matter. Yes there might be better things for people to read, but if they are reading, if they are finding enjoyment out of it, then that is a success. There is nothing wrong with adults reading YA books. And for the record, I was reading 800 page books when I was in Jr. High. Saying 10 to 16 year old girls don’t read books over 200 pages is insulting. I may have to bring my sister to meet the fellow. She would put him in his place. (And there is nothing wrong with books under 200 pages either.) Judging someone on what they read is the same as judging someone on their socks. Noticeable at times, but in the long run, often hidden by trousers and only the person that wears them can truly decide if they are clean. We can always make comments, but truthfully it is none of our business if they are striped or ankle height.

3 comments:

  1. Who is this imbecile? 200 pages wouldn't have lasted me an day at that age!!! Especially if it was well written! Grrrr. Maybe he couldn't read more than that at that age, but he has a superiority complex! I read The Lord of the Rings in 5th grade! .....(*shakes pitchfork in air*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you agree with me. (Granted not all girls are quite like us . . .) I will not stay silent next time.

      Delete
  2. I find it interesting the narrowmindedness of some individuals. I wonder if such a person can't count higher than 200 or do they just automatically stop at 200. I am curious if such a person is being dense or naive then I think I am being narrowminded myself, such a person could be both.

    ReplyDelete