08 February 2012

An Editor

So last week I wrote about how I write for myself. Because of Moose I submit my stories to various locations. While I haven't had anyone accept one of my novels, I have had some luck with my short stories. I enjoy writing short stories because they don't take as long. At this point four of my short stories have been published in anthologies. This week I heard back from an editor about another story. It was accepted but in the email, he politely explained that while he thought the story was interesting it was rough. I have worked with this editor twice before. At first I was shocked when he told me that this story was a draft. Of the three stories this was the one I spent the most time on. I had people give me all kinds of feedback. I was sure that this story would make me shine. As I go through the edits I have two trains of thought, "Thank goodness for a nice editor" and "Why did I ever think I could write. I am screwing up all the details." It makes me wonder if there are other authors out there who ever felt like they were out of their depth. All I can say at this point is that I could never self-publish. I need an editor.

2 comments:

  1. This is interesting because just last week I sent my book out to a person thinking it was a good draft and she said that she would look at it again when it was almost ready. When I sent it out I thought it was almost ready :) I feel the same way and often wonder if I do know how to write. I agree to self publish would be difficult without at least having an editor look at your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I always work with editors who give me the feedback I need in a positive way. I don't mind receiving criticism about my work so long as it is professional. I am always willing to help if you need it but I don't know what editors are looking for specifically and since I need one myself I don't know how much help I actually am.

      Delete