10 February 2012

Rapunzel's Revenge and Calamity Jack

Rapunzel's Revenge
Written by Shannon and Dean Hale
Illustrated by Nathan Hale

The first year I went to LTUE (Life The Universe and Everything, a Fantasy/Science Fiction symposium in Provo Utah) I heard Nathan Hale give a presentation during which he talked about a graphic novel he illustrated. I am a sucker for fairy tales and when I heard about RAPUNZEL'S REVENGE I was intrigued. If you have ever watch the Disney movie TANGLED you'll have an idea of what this book is about. As a side note Shannon and Dean have no relation to Nathan, don't let the last names fool you.

RAPUNZEL'S REVENGE is a western. She uses her hair as lassos to rope, wrangle, and tie up anyone who gets in her way. On her journeys she runs into a man by the name of Jack. With Jack's help she travels across the country while getting in and out of all sorts of trouble. The dialog is witty, the characters loveable, and the pictures bright and attractive.

I love this book. I think it is a perfect retelling of Rapunzel that is fairly unique. You may find some similarities between the Disney version, completely coincidental I mean they are both based on the same fairy tale so of course there are going to be similarities. But it adds a flair to the characters and story that you really won't find anywhere else.

Calamity Jack
Written by Shannon and Dean Hale
Illustrated by Nathan Hale

The sequel to RAPUNZEL'S REVENGE is CALAMITY JACK. This story has your two favorite characters but in a new adventure. As you may have guess, Jack is often found around bean stalks and this is his story. Part of the story is a flashback before Jack met Rapunzel and you learn that he has always been someone who gets himself into trouble without always thinking of the consequences.

Jack is a loveable rouge who left his hometown we he attracted too much attention from the giants. When he heads back home with enough money to rebuild his mother's bakery he sees that things are a lot worse then they use to be. With Rapunzel's help they try and help anyway they can, only things don't go as smoothly as they plan, which is normal for them.

In some ways I like CALAMITY JACK better and that is because Jack and Punzie have a good relationship, a little strained at times due to miscommunication, but overall they are a great team. Kids will like it and I think adult will be surprised at how much they enjoy it. Just remember that this is a graphic novel.

2 comments:

  1. I need to get these books for my kids. I wish I could have gone to LTUE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy LTUE and this was the best year for me yet. I hope you can come next year. I think you would really enjoy it.

      Delete