17 February 2012

The Screwtape Letters

by C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis is probably best known for his series NARNIA and a lot of people have come to recognize the religious aspect to this series. In his book THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS the religious aspect is a lot more prevalent. The story is in fact a series of letters written by the devil Screwtape to his nephew Wormwood. I knew about this book for some time but it wasn't until a book group assignment that I actually sat down and read through it to prepare for the monthly discussion. I really enjoyed it because it presents religious topics in a new way that really made me think. I have a feeling that not everyone would enjoy reading this book but I recommend it for those who want another view on Christian beliefs.

The story is written in epistolary format. Through the course of the 31 letters, Screwtape advises his nephew, Wormwood, on how best to tempt a man. Since this is written from the point of view of the devil the enemy discussed is in fact God and their great Lord is Satan. These letters cover everything from small temptations to large ones. It talks about getting men to form habits and leading them down gentle paths so they don't realize where they are headed. It is not a quick read and covers some deep themes.

THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS is not for everyone, but I recommend it. There is a story that goes along with it but it isn't read for the plot but the message. It is written around Christianity but covers some basic truths such as several of the seven deadly sins. I thought I would get through it fairly quickly and even though it is short I found myself reading passages and then going back to make sure I had them right. In some ways the book is dark and I was kind of relieved when I learned that C. S. Lewis did not enjoy writing it.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good book I will definitely need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy it because of how much it discusses human nature.

      Delete