14 March 2012

Happy Pi Day

This weekend Moose and I went to Logan. While he fixed his brother's car, I went to get my hair cut. When they took me back to the chair I decided to have it highlighted. I've never had my hair highlighted before and I thought it would be a fun change. I am fairly easy going about my hair. It grows back even if it is cut and dyed. When the hair dresser asked what color for the highlights I told her I didn't really care and what would she suggest. She hemmed and hawed for a bit but eventually suggested that I go with blond highlights. As she added the tinfoil we talked about a variety of things, but most especially what I had done with my hair. I kept telling her that she was the expert and that it didn't matter what she did, I could always grow it out if I didn't like the style. I went on to explain that I had dyed my hair blue at one point so anything else would seem tame. She laughed and I could tell she was relaxing.

She tensed up again when it came to washing the color out and for me to see how it looked. When I sat down at the mirror I was surprised. I liked it but it wasn't anything like I had done before. The blond is very blond and it steaks my hair in stripes, because they are highlights. She cut my hair and the longer I looked the more it grew on me. I would chuckle and she would pause in mid cut and ask if everything was all right. Come to find out the woman before me had wanted her hair bleached, but her style of hair didn't lend to bleaching very well. The woman had argued with the hair dresser and practically stormed out. Then I came in, sat down, and told her she could do what she wanted. I can see why she was so nervous. I felt bad for her and it bothered me that the woman couldn't be more courteous. I just hope that the hair dresser realizes she is good at her job.

4 comments:

  1. I often wonder about people who do not accept an experts advice. I think this goes along with writing as well. We often ask for advice but then don't follow it. This is sad to me. It is kind of like my defense. My professor said she really appreciated how I didn't get defensive and I explained to her there is not point to it because they are the experts. Great post and BTW you didn't even stop to say hi.....Owell Ill forgive you this once :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been impressed with how professional you are. In our old writing group a lot of people got defensive, but you always remained collected, even when their advice was bogus. Next time I am in Logan I'll make sure to stop by.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see your hair this Saturday! I discovered it's fun to let the hair stylist make suggestions with your hair. :) My stylist this Tuesday was pleased when I asked for her advice about a hair cut. (Of course I got the idea from you. Thanks.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to see your hair in person as well. From the pictures it turned out really cute. I still like my hair a lot and I will probably stick with this length for a while. I don't know if I can afford to have it colored regularly. See you Saturday.

      Delete