23 March 2012

Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders #2)

by Brandon Mull

I was so excited for this book and it did not disappoint me in the least, but now I have to wait for the next one. One of the things that I love about Brandon Mull is the fact that his characters develop as the story progresses. I liked Jason and Rachel in the last book but in this one we really see who they are. Sometimes it is when the character's don't have as much of a choice in what they do that you see their true character.

The story starts with Jason back at home. He is worried about Rachel who is still in Lyrian and he has to get word to Galloran about the Word. I love the fact that Jason makes the choice to go back especially since he doesn't know if the hippo will work again or just kill him. When he is back he gets right back into the swing of things. He meets back up with some old friends and makes some new ones. Their goals revolves around ousting Maldor from his seat of power though there are few people who are willing to stand up to the wizard.

I mentioned that I like this story because of the characters. The plot line is what you often find in fantasy books where an all powerful overlord needs to be overthrown. But, it is the races (half-giant, seedmen, and displacers) that really make this story unique. I love the fact that it isn't only the teenagers that are important. There are adults that are competent and useful. I can't wait for the next one, and not just because of how this one ends.

2 comments:

  1. I need to read his books. I guess psychology books will have to do for a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy them, but I can understand the importance for your psych books. Best of luck with your studies.

      Delete