26 March 2012

Writing Dialects

There is a lot of different advice out there on writing dialects. Some people say they are fine, others say not to use them because they are too much of a distraction to the story. I think if they are done well then they really can add a flair to the story. I think that Brian Jacques, author of the REDWALL series, is a good example of this. Anyone who has read his stories understands that each species has a different dialect. While I love the different dialects I think it is a good thing that the characters with the strongest accent, the moles, aren't used by characters that are in every conversation. Another good example of strong dialects are the UNCLE REMUS stories which is similar to the accent Jim has in THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN. When you read them you know how to picture the speaker but at the same time some of the nuances of the conversation may be lost and some readers may not appreciate the extra effort that is needed to understand what is being said. You just have to know who your audience is and what they want and are willing to read.

I am not one who tries to write the dialect using apostrophes and phonetic spelling to distinguish dialects. I try and play with word order and word choice to show the differences between characters. For example if I use the word mate people imagine a different type of person than if I use buddy. When it comes to word choice the best example is Yoda. Everyone knows when you read something like "Judge me by my size, do you?" you don't picture the same person who says "Are you judging me by my size?" or maybe something like "Your little brain dwells too much on my physical appearance." If you don't feel comfortable doing a complex dialect you should look into word choice and order because it is the little details that make the character. Just make sure that you are consistent.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great example. I for one do not like reading dialect. It is often difficult and takes me out of the story. When I watch a movie that takes place in franc the characters are not all speaking french so when I read a book I don't need to read all the dialects. However this being said I love the idea of word choice and order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to movies I'd rather have no accents then a bad accent. The same is true for books. I don';t feel like they are necessary most of the time.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love rich, distinct dialog. I can take pretty much anything the author tosses at me as long as I can pronounce it easily in my head. If I can't pronounce it without thinking about it then I'll stumble every time. I think it's the stumbling that causes the most damage. My eyes can't even focus on the half-mage, half-troll named dV'ork'lkwiern Jones. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the names. One of the biggest issues I have with fantasy novels is the unpronounceable names. Thanks for your comments.

      Delete