02 March 2012

Dear Frankie

with Emily Mortimer & Gerard Butler

I decided to shake things up a little and review one of my favorite movies, DEAR FRANKIE. I was introduced to this movie back in college. I saw a preview for it and I must admit what really drew my attention to it was the fact that it takes place in Scotland. Like a lot of people, I am a sucker for accents. At the same time the accents were fairly strong and it can take a minute or two to understand what the actors are saying. I also just want to add that there is some profanity.

This movie is about a single mother and her son. The son, Frankie, writes letter to his father who is a sailor. He has no memory of his father beyond the letters. Come to find out the mother, Lizzie, is the one who is writing the letters pretending to be Frankie's father. Then the ship docks and Frankie expects to see his father. Lizzie then decides she will find a man to pretend to be her husband and then once the ship leaves that will be the end of it.

This isn't the most original story to ever exist. In fact you may think you know exactly how it is going to end. But in all actuality I like this movie because it doesn't go how I expect it to. I have recommended this movie to more people and all of them have liked it. One of my movie buff friends actually said that it amazed him that this movie had more silence then most movies he'd seen. DEAR FRANKIE is a feel good movie that is just as good the second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment