22 June 2012

Icefall

by Matthew J. Kirby

I saw this book on the shelf and remembered hearing some of my favorite authors talk about it. I picked up it thinking I would get around to it because I have more free time that I use to. When I started this book I knew I was doomed. I wasn’t going to get anything accomplished. And I didn’t.

I was drawn into the world so fast and I really cared about the characters. I wanted to know what was going to happen to all the characters but Solveig, the main character, I really liked. Most of the time I get fed up with teenage, female protagonists because they are whiney. With Solveig I agreed when she complained and I really cheered for her. The other character I wasn't sure of at first was Hake. He is just not the kind of character I really thought would be more than brute strength and yet by the end I care more for him than any of the other guys in the story.

As to the story itself, it is a Nordic tale that draws you into the world of Norse mythology without requiring any prior knowledge. I was impressed with how Matthew Kirby was able to drop me into the society and feed me enough pieces to understand what was happening without actually drenching me in too much information. I kind of want there to be another one, but I am satisfied with the ending. I just want to spend more time with the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment