20 June 2012

Misconceptions about Anime

I'm always looking for someone to share movies with. I have a new friend at work who said he was interested in seeing more anime. Moose and I have several seasons and I told him I would be willing to let him borrow some. He hadn't seen much so when I listed off a bunch he lept at Avatar: The Last Airbender. I shrugged and let him borrow it. He really enjoyed it. I decided that I would have him watch our favorite series, Gunslinger Girl. I explained that it was a little more violent. When I talked to him a few days later he explained that he wasn't as interested in Gunslinger Girl. It was a little more series than he expected. We went on to talk more about anime and I realized he thought anime was like Disney. So I am going to set a few things straight for people who don't know about anime.

Anime is traditionally Japanese animated television series and movies. Most of what is known are some of the more child friendly shows. Just because the show is animated does not mean it is suitable for children. There are plenty of anime that Moose and I won't watch because of mature nature. There are plenty of anime out there that are suitable for all ages. Anime covers a broad range of topics but they are typically darker and there are plenty that are more environmental in nature. If you are wondering if the anime is appropriate to watch there are plenty of websites out there with good information. The bottom line is that there is plenty of good anime out there as well as not as appropriate, but don't expect American cartoons either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment