29 June 2012

Jurassic Park

by Michael Crichton

I remember when I saw JURASSIC PARK for the first time. I was enthralled. But was really stuck in my mind was that my mother was disappointed in the movie, because the book was better. I had no idea that it was based on a book. And that my mother had read it was also surprising at the time, now I am not so surprised because the JURASSIC PARK is written by Michael Crichton. Truthfully he is the kind of science fiction author I aspire to be. The books are not only about characters but science. His books make you realize that they could be true, even if they are considered science fiction at this point.

For any of you that have seen the movie, you know the basic plot line. A scientist has developed a way to extra dinosaur DNA from mosquitoes that were trapped in amber. The doctor invites a few other people as well as his grandchildren to come see his new park. Now the people are stranded on the island and the dinosaurs are running lose and killing people. What will surprise people most about the differences in the book are the characters. There are some significant differences between the movie and the book. And I like the book better.

This book has some language in it, and people do die, so it isn't for everyone. If you like the movie I recommend the book. There is so much more depth to everything and Crichton does an amazing job of bringing the world to life. Though it sounds like it is just focused on the aspect of surviving the dinosaurs, the book is full of science and is explained so well that it doesn't matter if you don't have a doctorate in biology or chemistry. The movie only scratches the surface as to what actually takes place on the island of Jurassic Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment