11 March 2011

Dragon Slippers

by Jessica Day George

I have heard Jessica Day George speak on several occasions and her personality just drew me in. When I first started reading I was sure I knew where the story was going. I mean the title of the book lets you know that the slippers Creel gets from the dragon in the beginning are obviously importantly. What I didn't realize was how deep into the story everything was going to be twisted. While she gets the slippers early on, the next portion of the story is for the development of the character in the city and her relationship with others. The story drew me in, not only the characters and the plot but the settings and the nitty-gritty details as well. I loved the descriptions of the town and just the day to day activities of the characters, from the prince to the seamstress.

One of the best parts of this story is Creel's chosen profession of seamstress, especially embroidery, in the capital city. The idea that a character could use embroidery and sewing to help save the day is totally awesome. I wish I'd read this book years ago when I was taking sewing lessons. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to read about dragons, and a determined young woman who uses her head and the practical skills she has learned and practiced. Not only are the protagonists, Creel and Prince Luka, lovable and someone you want to cheer for but the antagonists I just wanted to slap them upside the head. I enjoy stories where I know who to cheer for and a villain I can truly loath.

So the long and short of it, this book is a great read that takes all of the fantastical elements (dragons, kingdoms, alchemy, and a happily ever after) but presents it in a new and fresh way. This book doesn't mock needlepoint skills and shows people that it doesn't matter what your hobbies are, but to use the skills you have on hand to solve the problems presented.

No comments:

Post a Comment