09 March 2011

Short Stories

With the acceptance of a flash fiction story and the request of two short stories comes the new added responsibility of meeting expectations and branching out. I am totally stoked that someone asked me to write something and didn’t just accept the story I submitted. I feel like I reached a new level to my creative writing. When writing any story there is pressure of trying to write the perfect story that fits all of the guidelines and criteria set down by the editors and publishers and dealing with word count restrictions.

This last week I wrote one of the two short stories. I had to write a story that fit in with my flash fiction already accepted. It shouldn’t have been that hard but I have limited practice writing short stories. Somehow I had to write a story between 3,000 – 10,000 words when I normally write under 1,000 words or over 80,000 words. So here was my solution, write three 1,000 flash stories with the same characters and compile them as beginning, middle, and end. I guess I’ll have to see what the editor says before I start the next story.

No comments:

Post a Comment