06 March 2011

*Faces

Intro: I hope this reminds you of Edgar Allen Poe. I wanted it to be tasteful yet disturbing and a little eerie.

“Did you hear about Michael? Whoa — didn’t you look in the mirror before you came to work today?” Lyle asked as I slid into my chair. “Imagine, a man who wins the lottery, still working and still can’t seem to afford a mirror.”

“It’s not like I have the money yet. Do I really look that bad?” I pressed my hand down on top of my head and tried to flatten it. After last night, no piece of glass remained unbroken. I was surprised I hadn’t cut my feet as I walked around getting ready for work. It only postponed the inevitable. The demon would be back as soon as I slipped up but the money from the lottery would be coming in soon. I worked hard to get the money. Once I had it, I could quit. Never have to show my face, any face, again.

“It’s not your hair I’m worried about, Dave.” Lyle replied and tapped his tie. “The presentation today, remember? Only the most important business deal of our careers.”

My hand flew to my neck and found nothing but unbuttoned collar. “Sorry, Lyle. I’ll go get one.”

“No time now. We present in five minutes. Maybe you can borrow one from someone.”

I nodded, letting my eyes scurry past the blank monitors to look over the short cubicle walls. A few of our coworkers wondering which one I should approach first. Barry, from accounting, was the most likely candidate and I hurried over to him. The stress made the wounds from my recent surgery ache. I pushed it aside and focused on getting a tie from Barry. Talkative Barry. I use to avoid him but I couldn’t now.

“What’s up, Dave? You haven’t stopped by in nearly two weeks. Is something wrong?”

“Sorry about that. I’ve been really busy lately.”

“I can’t believe Mike was on the news today. Did you see that? They found the remains of his body in the river, he was missing his face. They identified him through his clothes and driver’s license. Poor fellow never did have much luck with anything. You and Lyle knew him best though. Did he seem like the suicidal type?”

“I didn’t catch the news before leaving today.” I said with an apologetic smile. “Can I borrow your tie for the presentation today?”

“Are you guys still going ahead with that, I mean with Mike being gone and all.”

“Michael —” My voice caught for a moment and I clamped my jaw shut.

“Right. Sorry about that. Sure, you can borrow my tie.”

Barry’s desk used the large windows as one wall and though I try to remain focused on my friend, the horned demon is visible in the glass. A knife clutched in its hand, it skulked towards Barry’s back.

“Here,” Barry said, the silk tie swishing as he pulled it free. “Good luck on your presentation.”

“Thanks. I owe you one.” I grabbed the lose end and gathered up the tie.

“Nah, this will make up for you helping me with my presentation last year. Remember?” Barry nodded and turned back to his computer screen.

“Of course,” I lied.

Pictures of his wife and children rested on the desk and the demon crept through them, knife still in hand. I pivoted on my heel and trotted to where Lyle waited for me. The framed artwork on the walls caught the fluorescent lights and the demon followed Lyle as we walked down the hall. Its mouth spread wide, salivating.

At the conference room, I hurried to open the door, blocking the glass and the demon from sight. I followed Lyle into the room, sweat running down my back. Not because this presentation would not only determine my future at the company but the company’s future. The glass windows at the end of the room winked in the sunlight. The demon stood at attention, fingering the blade of the knife. The hideous face melted. My face grinned out at me.

“Dave, are you alright?”

The demon held the knife up and stepped closer. Its face, my face, filled the glass.

“Dave?”

“Can you live seeing this face in the mirror?” The demon asked.

Its faced morphed again, and I squeezed my eyes shut.

“No. He’s dead. This is a lie.” I could still see his face in front of me and let out a scream of rage. “The money’s mine!”

I opened my eyes and picked up the nearest chair. The glass crashed to the floor. Thousands of faces looked up at me from the pieces, Dave’s face and my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment