02 March 2011

Letter Writing

Last week I received a letter from a dear friend who I haven’t seen, or heard from, in some time. A couple of years ago we were exchanging letters on a regular basis and when I saw the envelope on the table, I just felt a tinge of excitement. Getting an email isn’t nearly as thrilling as receiving a hand written or even typed, letter. I quickly replied, though my stationary wasn’t nearly as cute, and sent off my letter.

In this age of technology, I am continually saddened by the lack of personal communication. There are lots of ways to get information out en masse, and I use several of them. I love the freedom I have by posting on a website where my family, scattered across the country, can read the stories and things I have to say. Yet when I don’t hear about a bridal shower because I chose not to participate in Facebook, I am a little disheartened.

There is a time and place for all forms of communication; I still find it useful to send up smoke signals when I’m lost. I hope I remain old fashioned in my love of the hand-written word and beautiful stationary.

No comments:

Post a Comment