03 April 2011

*Aftermath

Intro: Let the punishment fit the crime.

The men and women milled around the small room. Some limped, others mumbled eyes rolling around, a few leaned against the wall their faces twisted with contempt and frustration. When the door opened a few of them saluted.

"Glad you could all make it," General Jarkin said. "I'm here to brief you on your next mission."

Jarkin expected the sneers and looks of disbelief as everyone in the room turned his direction. It took all his willpower to hide even the smallest of smiles. It wouldn't do to have anyone think this was a joke.

"Brief us for what?" one of the men in wheelchairs finally asked.

"You have all been called back to active duty. We need all of you in this war."

"But, I'm disabled," the man repeated.

Jarkin ignored him. He pulled his shoulders back, clasping his hands behind him, and cast his gaze over everyone, paying particular attention to the men and women standing and whole.

"We are pleased all of you volunteered. We need a strong team to break through the defenses. You will be the tip of the arrow. You will lead the rest of the men to victory."

A few of them absently nodded. Others whispered to each other.

"Let me just clarify," one of the women said from the back of the room. "You want us to lead a charge against the enemy soldiers."

"Yes," Jarkin said.

"It's suicide. I'm not volunteering. Get me out of here," she said pushing her way through towards the door.

Jarkin raised his hand and two soldiers in full gear came through the door. The door slammed closed behind them.

"You lost your chance years ago, Ms.—"

The woman shook her head, "You can't keep us here."

Jarkin allowed himself a small smile and snapped his fingers. One of the soldiers handed him a pile of papers.

"Now that I have your undivided attention, we need to get down to the business side of things. We weren't expecting so many to volunteer for this mission and our funds for equipment is a little low. All of you will be given a utility knife and a canteen."

Jarkin didn't even bother to look at the soldiers behind him. Every other eye in the room was fixed on the Swiss Army Knife and empty Gatorade bottle the two soldiers held up.

"What about transportation?" someone asked. He turned to the others in the room, "Surly this mission won't be that hard if they give us some tanks or something."

"You can't honestly think they're going to make us go through with this," another person hissed.

The tension in the air rose.

"What else?" someone finally asked. "What other equipment is there?"

Jarkin made a show of lifting up the top paper though it had absolutely nothing to do with the equipment. "Nope, I don't see anything else here in regards to provided equipment, or transportation."

The small room erupted with noise. A few of the people in wheelchairs stood up and made a move to the door. The two soldiers cocked their guns and everyone fell silent.

"I didn't say you couldn't have anymore equipment, just that I can't provide it — for free." Jarkin held up the stack of papers and smiled. "I have more information about opportunities here."

He glanced down the list and called out, "Peter Archibald Jones, I see something good for you."

A man sitting on the floor raised his hands. He was middle aged and wore serviceable clothes.

"I see that you are indeed up for a jeep, full combat equipment, and rifle with ammunition."

The man chuckled with a relieved air about him.

"Oh, but I see you claimed over thirty-thousand in veteran benefits. I'm sure I can work something out for you if you can see the money is returned."

The man's face paled and he bowed his head.

Jarkin picked another name off the list, "Katherine Billings Smith. You are up for a hummer, if you can pay back the hundred grand you collected through your campaign slogan."

The room grew even more silent as Jarkin went through the list rattling off the money each person had listed by their name.

"Anyone care to pay up? I promise, you will get the equipment before you have to make the run tomorrow morning." Jarkin looked around. "I'll leave you to deliberate."

He turned and walked from the room. The two soldiers followed him. As soon as the door closed a clamor of voices rose. Jarkin leaned against the door.

"Thanks for helping me out, boys."

One of the soldiers took off his helmet and held it under his arm. "What exactly was that for?"

"Maybe next time these losers will think twice before impersonating a soldier for gain."

"Are you really going to make them fight?"

"Though I wish we could, the prison is sending a bus over to pick them all up," Jarkin replied.

Someone started pounding on the door and Jarkin smiled to himself.

"Come on, I want to broadcast a few messages over the speaker system while we still have time."

"What?"

"Have you ever heard of War of the Worlds?"

Jarkin and the two soldiers walked off already discussing the plan for the next group to come in and deciding what to tell the press to spread the word.

4 comments:

  1. This was a fun story. I was very surprised when people got out of their wheelchairs! I like the Intro: Let the punishment fit the crime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it. My husband and I had been listening to the radio earlier that week and heard about some law making it illegal to pose as veterans. Part of me is surprised it isn't already a law. I am disgusted by people who exploit the system in such a fashion and tried to come up with a way to punish them accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "a utility knife and a canteen"

    Loved that line!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I had a lot of fun writing this story. It is unrealistic in a lot of ways, but I am glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete