08 April 2011

The Blue Sword

by Robin McKinley

Where do I start with this book? If I am every asked which book is my favorite, this one always makes the list. I have read and enjoyed the majority of Robin McKinley’s books but this one takes the cake. I reread it every year. I guess it is time to back up my words.

This story follows Angharad Crewe, called Harry, and her adventure with the hill-folk. In a very brief nutshell: two countries are trying to work out relations between them when another country threatens to attack and destroy everything. Harry has to decide where her loyalties lie and what she is willing to sacrifice to do what she thinks is right. Harry is the point of view character for the majority of the story though Corlath, the King of Damar. I’ve looked up to Harry ever since my mother read this book to me when I was a child. She is determined and intelligent. She is put in a variety of situations that make her uncomfortable, kidnapping being one of them, and tries to make the best of it. The characters in this book are what make it such a wonderful read, even after a dozen reads. While the story is told through Harry and Corlath and we see the inner workings of their minds and drives, the other characters also demand attention and develop throughout the tale. As someone who has lived in fairly green areas, even if the only green is sagebrush, the description of the land and nomadic lifestyle gets my imagination going. The great sand dunes and caravans are clearly pictured in my mind through Robin McKinley’s descriptions.

This book may have a heroine as the main character but it will draw in anyone who reads it, whether they are male or female. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a great story, fleshed-out characters, and a beautiful setting. Now I must be off to read it again.

2 comments:

  1. Great synopsis. I can tell you have read it and thought about it many times. There is only one book I have read more than once, Dragonlance. I can't rewatch movies other than two, Lord of The Rings, and the man who knew too little. Great movies and they keep the intensity even though I have watched them so many times. Can't wait to read your story BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been remiss in my reading and haven't read Dragonlance. I will rectify that soon though.

    I also have a difficult time rereading stories. Normally I just skip around to my favorite parts. This one is one of the very few I can reread from start to finish. My mother read it to me when I was growing up and ever since then it has been one of my favorites. (It is also one of my mother's favorite books as well.)

    ReplyDelete