27 April 2011

Writing Tips – Part III

Importance of Short Stories

As NaShoStoMo winds down to a close (I only have three more stories to write) I decided I would write about the importance of short stories. I have wanted to be an author since I was young and all of my stories were long drawn out intricate plot lines. Ever since I started attending writing conferences I learned the importance of short stories. I am no expert when it comes to developing the concise yet intriguing plot lines but there are a few things I have learned about writing them.

1. People are more willing to read a four page short story then a three hundred page novel. It doesn't matter how much your friends or family love you, it is easier to convince people to read something short especially with how busy our lives are today.

2. There are more options for selling short stories. While we all know there are hundreds of publishers and agents out in the world, there are also hundreds of authors out there, some with a lot more experience and qualifications. Take advantage of all of the markets for short stories: anthologies, magazines, and contests. They will help get your name out there and can bring in a little extra money.

3. If you can't write a believable character in four pages, no one is going to want to read about them for four hundred. A story of any length should have relatable characters and interesting plot lines. Use the short stories to work through the rough patches of your writing craft. See the results faster.

4. Same goes for editing and rework. If you get bored editing a four page document good luck on your novel. This is also a great way to pick up on your common mistakes. Have people look through your short stories and if they pick up on common errors you can learn to catch them earlier and improve your abilities which will make the novel that much better.

5. Try out new genres. I claim to be a science fiction writer (that's what all of my novels are) but you can't tell that from the short stories I write. I enjoy writing in the different genres and seeing what I can do but I don't have to write an entire novel to learn that for some reason I just can't do horror very well.

6. And finally, it just feels great when you finish a story. Instead of waiting months to see the final product, you can do it in weeks or even days.

I am no expert on writing short stories but by writing one every week (and for this month almost every day) I can see an improvement in my skills. Granted there is still a big difference between novel writing and short story writing but there are benefits if you take the time to indulge in a short story now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment