25 April 2011

*Onward

Stupid program. Didn't publish my story when I told it to. Sorry it is a day late. I should have checked it yesterday.

Intro: Writing Prompt "In 300 words or less, write a passage you're scared and hungry, it's dusk, you think someone is following you, and just for fun, see if you can involve all five senses AND include these random words: shimmer, saccadic, substance, and salt."

The sunset shimmered in the window in front of me, but my attention didn't last long on the bloody light. The heat from the summer sun still radiated from the sidewalk grazing my skin and growing more uncomfortable with every step. Every chance I got, I looked in the mirrored surfaces of glass and polished metal, my eyes saccadic and not truly focusing on any details. I picked up my speed, hurrying past the café on the corner. Though my stomach growled from the smell of penne and garlic bread I pushed on.

As I plowed across the street, a horn blared. The man behind the wheel of the car cursed. I stammered a reply and kept moving. A few seconds later another car squealed to a stop. With my heart threatening to rupture, I ran. The soles of my feet struck the ground hard sending small tendrils of pain shooting up my calves. The pedestrians on the sidewalk grumbled as I wove in an out of their bodies. My hands pushed past the substance of cotton, denim, and flesh. It does no good. I can't move fast enough. They crowded closer and closer. A scream rose in my throat as someone grabbed my shoulder.

I jerked away and fell to the hot sidewalk biting my cheek. The blood tasted like salt in my mouth and my stomach lurched. The crowd flowed around me, not looking in my direction but everyone knew I was there, lying on the ground. My burned and bloody feet ached but I pushed myself up. The shadows lengthen as I continue trying to remain invisible yet looking for a safe place to rest. The bloody footprints I left behind with each pain ridden step marked my passing. Yet, onward I ran.

2 comments:

  1. I looked for it and was surprised it wasn't up. This is such a wonderful story. i love the use of the words and the senses. the line on marked my passing is great. I also like the trying to remain invisible line. Great job as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little frustrated to see it wasn't up but then again I should have logged on Sunday to check. I just like the idea of avoiding my computer one day out of the week. Thanks for introducing me to the writing prompt by the way. I had a lot of fun writing this story.

    ReplyDelete