20 April 2011

Writing Tips – Part II

Is, Was, Were

One of my friends in writing group made me painfully aware of the verbs I use, especially 'is,' 'was,' and 'were.' These are lazy verbs. They are unavoidable in some cases but only give the reader the bare necessity of information. For example: Hannah was exhausted. Could be Exhaustion overwhelmed Hannah. Another common use of was and were consist of using them to change the tense of another verb. Instead of using a compound verb such as was listening you could just have listened.

Getting rid of was and were is a painstaking process in many instances. While you can occasionally replace one with a stronger verb, other  times you might need to rewrite the sentence. Here are a few more examples of changes you can make.

It was what he expected. Could be: He expected it.

There is always a line at the checking station. Could be: The checking station always has a line.

A guard was standing nearby. Could be: A guard stood nearby.

Sometimes you have to add more details. His diaries and his bicycle were destroyed. Could be: An accidental fire destroyed his bicycle and diaries.

It is nearly impossible to get rid of every 'was,' 'were,' and 'is' in a story but by keeping an eye out for them will tighten up your writing.

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I am so bad at using these verbs. I like the many examples you used as well making it much clearer. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad I was able to help clarify. This is definitely something I've been working on the past year so I'm glad I can share the knowledge. One of my friends always notices verbs and lets me know when I use them too much. He's the one that has really helped me with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to award you the stylish blogger award. I think you have a great blog and that you should be recognized for all of your help. You can pick it up at my blog. http://theforsakenpetal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the award. I appreciate the honor.

    ReplyDelete