13 April 2012

Cinder

by Marissa Meyer

I had seen this book but I didn't get a chance to read it until my sister-in-law let me borrow it. From the name and the cover you can get the basic idea of what the book is about. It is a retelling of Cinderella. While at first I thought it was going to be a steampunk it was actually a science fiction taking place in the future. This version has some unique aspects to it as well as covering all of the basic plot points you expect to find in a Cinderella story. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a fresh take on an old classic.

Cinder is a cyborg. She was in an accident as a child and parts of her body were replaced with metal. She also has an internal wiring system that keeps track of her vital stats. She lives with her legal guardian and two step-sisters. It is her job to make the money and she does so by acting as a mechanic. Her own practice at fixing herself has made her talented with all things mechanical. One day, while she is tending her booth, the heir to the throne comes and asks her to fix his android. From there her life goes to pot. Not only is the world infested with cyborgs and androids but the Lunars, from the moon colony, are making mischief plus there is a plague that kills one hundred percent of those infected and there is no known cure.

One of the issues I have with Cinderella is the fact that no one but the fairy godmother is on her side and she only knows the prince for a night before falling in love. This book removed all of my concerns. There are several people who care for her and she she meets with the prince on multiple occasions. The only problem I had with this book is the fact that I have to wait until next year for the sequel.

2 comments:

  1. I have a tough time reading the same story over again. I like how this book seems to tell it from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is enough different in it that it doesn't match up completely with what you expect from a typical Cinderella story.

      Delete