27 April 2012

Ender's Game

by Orson Scott Card

This book is probably well known by many of you, but it is still one of my favorites, for a couple of reasons. ENDER'S GAME by Orson Scott Card is one of the classic science fiction novels. I don't agree with some of the marketing techniques that have been used recently. The main character is a child, but this book is not for children. I would recommend it to high school students, not because there is anything in the book that is completely inappropriate for children, but because I am not sure that all youth will understand all of it. Granted I remember reading this book in elementary, but I know I missed a lot of what was going on with the politics. This book reminded me of DUNE in a way that it showed science fiction isn't just about aliens in space but about politics, human nature, and survival.

This novel follows the story of Ender Wiggen. He is a third. Earth has population control where parents are only suppose to have two children. Ender was allowed to be born because of his potential. There are a group of children who are chosen to be trained at a space station. They are there to learn tactics and strategy. Ender is one of the youngest kids on the station, most being teenagers. He learns that because he is the smartest one there he has a target on his back. His two siblings back at home have their own plans for the future and they aren't always in it for the greater good.

One of the reasons why I like this book is because it really made me think. I still find myself thinking about the various characters and their situations. The other big reason why I like this book is it is one of the only books that Moose has finished. He still talks about how it influenced him and I am grateful to any author who can make my husband read and enjoy a book. As to whether we will see the movie, that we haven't decided. Both of us have so many fond memories that we may skip it until we see how other people like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment