23 April 2012

Supportive Spouses

Moose told me that I needed to write this one and I think he has a good point. I have probably mentioned the fact that my husband doesn't pick reading as one of his hobbies. When we got married he had only read a handful of novels from start to finish. There was a good reason for this and since we've been married I've been able to get him to read, and even enjoy, several other books. Truth be told, Moose has never read any of my stories. I have read a couple of my short stories to him and I talk about plot lines but he doesn't read what I write. At first I was a little discouraged that I couldn't get him to read it but those feelings disappeared quickly. Moose supports me in what I do. Even though he doesn't read my stuff he knows my writing and editing is a job and he isn't offended by me editing and writing most evenings. He cleans more than I do because that is how he shows his support in my career choice. When he told me to write this he wanted to make sure that I mention the fact that spouses need to be supportive how they can even if they don't read.

As I thought about this I realized that I take Moose for granted. Moose often tells me to keep working and that he will take care of the house. I do get a lot of writing and editing done and I am pleased to say that I cook dinner by myself 90% of the time, but Moose cleans more than I do. The real question you need to ask yourself is if you are being supportive. The most important thing in my life is not my writing, it is my family. The worst thing that could happen in my life is losing my husband. There will be days that I may not get all of my editing done, but if that means Moose is happy than I will feel like I've succeeded. I will always remember the fact that the only reason I am as far as I am with my writing is because of Moose. He is the reason for my success and his success is just as important as my own.

Never take support for granted. Know your priorities and stick to them.

4 comments:

  1. I love this. My husband doesn't like to read, and doesn't read my stories.

    Now as my son is growing old enough to try to read what I'm writing, I've really learned to appreciate that. I'm glad my hubby leaves me the freedom and privacy to write whatever I want. It makes me a better writer, knowing that I don't have to worry about what he is thinking and feeling. Also, that means I have something that's just mine, which helps me keep my identity within our very loving couple.

    But I couldn't do it without his support. He's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome. I am glad your husband is also supportive. I feel the same way you do. My writing is my own and it is nice he doesn't try to force his ideas on me.

      Delete
  2. This is so important. I know that my wife is an amazing support to me. SHe does enjoy reading and is always the first to read my stories. She will always be first in my life though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spouses who support in any way they can. I think it is awesome that your wife reads your stories.

      Delete