06 April 2012

Shades of Milk and Honey & Glamour in Glass

Shades of Milk and Honey
by Mary Robinette Kowal

I actually read the sequel before I read this one. I don't like reading books out of order and this is the fist time I've done it. A few people expressed their concerns at me reading the books out of order because it means that I know how SHADES OF MILK AND HONEY ends. Even knowing how Jane turns out I still had no idea how it got there. This book really does read like a Jane Austen novel. If you are worried about the fact that it is fantasy novel the magic in this novel isn't what you would expect in a book with wizards but it enhances the world.

In SHADES OF MILK AND HONEY Jane is falling in love with her neighbor Mr. Dunkirk. The only problem is the fact that she doesn't feel like she can compare to her younger, more attractive sister. The only talent she has is her ability to work Glamour. While she tries to figure out what exactly she wants in life she gains a new friend, the younger sister of the man she has feelings for. Beth is a sweet young girl but there are parts of her past that lead to a moody nature. Beth's new Glamour teacher, Mr. Vincent, seems to have his own secrets and shares no love for anyone but himself.

This is a book that I am going to reread year after year. It is a fun read that didn't take me long to finish, especially since it drew me in. I love the fact that Mary Robinette Kowal completely submerged me into the world without overburdening me with all of the details that would make it drag. I would recommend reading this one first but if for some reason you can't get your hand on a copy don't let it stop you, so long as you do get around to this one eventually because it is a story you don't want to miss.

Glamour in Glass
by Mary Robinette Kowal

I have never knowingly read a book out of order, until now. I have been trying to get my hands on a copy of SHADES OF MILK AND HONEY for some time now. I have heard really good things about it but I have so many books on my to read list that I normally just read the books that I can get my hands on. When I won a copy of GLAMOUR IN GLASS I decided I was just going to read it. I mean what is the advantage of reading an ARC if you can't read it before it is officially released? I am glad I didn't wait.

One of the reasons why I refuse to read books out of order, especially fantasy, is because not only do you lose some of the character development, but it can be confusing to understand all of the magic system. In this world the magic system is known as glamour and it is an illusionary style. Though I am sure I probably didn't grasp all of what the glamourists are capable of or how it works, I understand what was happening and all of the important information was explained.

This story takes place in Europe during Napoleon's exile to the island of Elba. The main character, Jane, works as a glamourist. They have only been married a short time and decide that since the threat of Napoleon is gone they can take their honeymoon. They decide to go to Brussels where a friend of her husband lives. For those of you who know your history, Napoleon eventually escapes from Elba. Jane and her husband are now caught in the middle of a country that is split as to whether to support Napoleon or not. The only problem is they have something that the army wants.

GLAMOUR IN GLASS is an engaging read. I liked the fact that it offered something that I haven't seen a lot of, a heroine who hasn't been modernized. Too many times when I read stories that are suppose to be about classic time periods the heroine has modern ideals, beliefs, feelings, and clash with what is historically accurate. Jane is a character who sticks to tradition yet remains strong and determined. Not only are the characters historically accurate but I could tell Mary Robinette Kowal did her research about the time period. She gave enough details with the language, clothing, life-styles, even the weapons that I was immersed but at the same time there wasn't too much that it dragged the story down. I hope that Mary writes more in this same style. Two books is not enough.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy about your review. I wrote Glamour in Glass deliberately so that it could be read out of sequence with Shades of Milk and Honey as a "prequel" but you are the first review I've seen that actually read them that way. I'm so very, very glad it worked.

    And yes, there are two more books coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your books. And I am so pleased to hear there will be two more. I look forward to meeting you in a few weeks to get my books signed when you stop in Salt Lake.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like an intriguing book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete