01 July 2012

*Lady Mary

Intro: The matriarchs of the early 1900's strike fear into the hearts of everyone. I think that if more of those women existed today, that life would be a lot different.

Lady Mary of Wettnshire woke up and stared at the blue sky. She was laying on the ground. Though her joints protested she got to her feet and looked around. No one was in sight. She brushed off her dress but froze when a large, something, moved past her. The rest of her surroundings looked as odd. With her chin raised, she marched off towards the nearest building. There was little grass, and instead of the roads being dirt they were hard like stone, only there was no stone large enough to cover the expanse.

Lady Mary followed the stone through a small patch of grass. It lead to the side of the building which appeared to be made of glass. She'd never seen such smooth glass of such a dark color. A portion of the wall swung towards her. She stood her ground. The person on the other side of what Lady Mary realized was a door, stopped in his tracks.

"Excuse me," the man said.

He didn't even offer her a bow. Lady Mary sniffed as he rushed by. She stood outside the building. No one opened the door. She frowned. The sun was too hot to wait for a lazy footman. She opened the door and stepped in. The difference in temperature between outside and inside made Lady Mary shiver. She adjusted her skirts even as she scoped out the servants in the entry hall. She waved to one. The woman remained fixed in place.

"Have you no manners?"

"Excuse me, but who are you?" One of the men said.

"I am the Lady Mary of Wettnshire. I request you take me to the master of this house."

"You've got to be kidding me? Lady, you are crazy."

Lady Mary turned on the man. He was bald and there were metal rings in his ears and even his eyebrow. She sniffed and took a step towards him. "You will mind your tongue, and you will do as I say."

"Yes, ma'am."

"You can refer to me as mi'lady. What position do you hold?"

"My dad owns this company."

"So you are the heir? Then you shall take me to your father."

"I don't know if that is a good idea. He doesn't like visitors."

Lady Mary strode past him. "He will see me."

Though she didn't know where she was, with all of the electric lights and the strange clothing, women wearing trousers, Lady Mary was going to make the best of her new life. She was Lady Mary of This Company. And in five minutes she would learn what that actually meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment