03 June 2011

Blind Justice

by Bruce Alexander

It wasn't until I was in college that I really came to enjoy reading mysteries. It's not that I didn't like mysteries but that I had read one too many that weren't written as well as they could be. BLIND JUSTICE is in a class of its own. Bruce Alexander presents all of the information to the reader and doesn't hold back any crucial piece of evidence. Part of the reason that I enjoyed it so much was because of the characters, especially Sir John Fielding.

BLIND JUSTICE is told from the perspective of a boy named Jeremy Proctor in 18th century London. Jeremy works as an assistant for Sir John Fielding, who is a blind magistrate. Between the two of them, they investigate the apparent suicide of Lord Goodhope. During this time, magistrates worked as detective and judge in the court system. This novel covers both the detective work and the proceeding court case.

Sir John Fielding was a real blind magistrate who made a name for himself. Not only did he help his brother to form the first professional police force, but he was said to be able to recognize roughly three thousand criminals by their voices. BLIND JUSTICE, and the other books in the series, aren't completely historically accurate but they are filled with interesting information. If you are looking for a new mystery series to start, this one is fascinating and entertaining. All of the books are good and I would recommend reading them in the order they were published because the characters grow, age, and change as the series progresses.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that many mysteries withhold information as a device to keep the reader coming back which for me is just annoying:) I like the mysteries that unfold the story in a way that keeps me hooked but lets me feel smart and as if I have not been cheated. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the few mysteries that I would reread because the characters are setting are just as interesting as the plot and even though I know who and how, I would still enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete