08 June 2011

Dark YA Literature

Recently the Wall Street Journal had an article about contemporary young adult literature. I read through the article and found myself torn on some of the aspects but what I really took from the article is the fact that this particular author didn't mention all of the other great pieces of young adult literature coming out. They just mentioned the ones that really push the boundaries. Just like every other aspect of media there is a light side and a dark side. While I wouldn't read or recommend some of the books mentioned in the article, I have a long list of recent young adult books (not to mention some classics) I would love to give anyone who wants something for their teen to read that doesn't have all of the darkness. As with everything else in this world, there is something for everyone. (Just don't always expect to find it on the shelf. Most book stores nowadays only carry what is trending and if you want something other than that you will have better luck looking online then in a brick and mortar store.)

2 comments:

  1. This is a great point. You should send the list to me it would be good for my sons to have more than the trendy stuff. I'm trying to get them to expand their reading other than just fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely send a list your way. It has been my self-appointed job to find books for my younger sister so I have a pretty good collection. (Though about half of them are on the fantasy side of things.)

    ReplyDelete