10 June 2011

I am Number Four

by Pittacus Lore

I had no idea that I AM NUMBER FOUR actually existed as a book until my work got tickets for the opening night of the movie. I wasn't able to go but I looked up the trailer and along the way learned that the movie was actually based on a novel. Since I am a firm believer of "Don't judge a book by its movie" I requested it at the library. While my friends didn't have raving reports on the trailer, I was pleased with the book.

The plot line of the book is actually intriguing. Nine children are sent away from a dying world. They are to be the legacy of the planet and hopefully someday will stop the Mogadorians. The children are given numbers (1-9) and they are protected by a ward that they can only be killed in order of their number. It doesn't sound like much protection but it is something. Four and his "Father" move around the United States trying to stay ahead of the Mogadorians and then Four meets a girl named Sarah.

With so many new books being around a dystopic society or a paranormal horror I was pleased that I AM NUMBER FOUR falls into the science fiction category and deals with aliens. There seems to be a shortage of science fiction in YA and this one is a great way to break a new generation into a world with aliens and space travel. This book was a fun read. I like the idea behind the characters and I am curious to see where this will go in the sequel, which comes out in August.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the movie. I think they did a great job of keeping the bad guys bad guys. Maybe it was finally a sci fi or something but the movie was great and I can't wait for the sequel. Man I can't believe how far behind I have gotten on posting:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear you liked the movie. I hope to watch it in the next couple of weeks since it is now out on DVD.

    ReplyDelete