15 June 2011

Chairperson

A couple of months ago I accepted a leadership position with the admonishment of "Don't screw this up or they will never trust us again." I have volunteered for various positions before but never one that has been so important in that I have to keep track of documents, money, and sound educated at the same time. I am a fairly organized person and this was an opportunity I just couldn't pass up.

This last week I realized I had been making a consistent mistake from the beginning of it all. A kind of mistake that isn't earth shattering but enough that if I played my cards wrong I could fall into the "Don't trust again" category. My first response was panic (which is how I respond to a lot of things). I had several plans running through my mind, all of them bad. I called a friend and presented my problem. He explained that it wasn't really a mistake and that all I needed to do was ask people for the needed information.

Still feeling foolish and panicked, I emailed people asking for the information I should have noticed was missing. All of the emails I have received in reply have been people saying thank you for giving them a chance to give me the information and not disqualifying them for one reason or another.

Not only have I gained an appreciate for the people in charge, but I have a better understanding of how to be a better participant and follower. I will never ever complain about rules again, at least not in the presence of those who set the rules and I will not be afraid to ask questions.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that it worked out and that things are going well. It is a big responsibility and I think that you are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I have really enjoyed doing this and it has been a great experience. I may consider doing something like it again in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is funny that you mentioned Stephanie's Ponytail because yesterday Sarah and I were talking about it. The wind was blowing so hard that it looked like she had a ponytail in front of her face. I couldn't remember the name of the book. Your timing was great. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete