26 June 2011

*Name Game

Intro: Apparently I am on a government control kick at the moment. I thought it would be interesting to have characters where their names meant more than just what their parents fancied at the time of the child's birth. (I have a fairly common first name. When I was younger I didn't like the fact that there was a good chance I was known more by my last name initial than my actual name because there would be two of us with the same first name in a class. Now, as an adult, I can appreciate the fact that no one mispronounces or misspells my name.)

At one time, it was considered acceptable for parents to name their children. I know, weird. Think of all the problems with having children born in the same year with the same name. How confusion would that be? My name is Dennis 69 Gregory. As evident by my name, I was the 47th child born in the year 69. Easy to remember. You should have seen the city when Zelda Xerxes Clement and her older brother, Dennis, moved into town.

When I first met her, I was confused. I mean, it wasn't as if it was only our town who regulated the names. The whole country followed it. I should have been the only Dennis in my class no matter where we moved.

"Hi," Zelda said, holding out her hand. "I'm Zelda Xerxes Clement."

I took it and shook it, quite aware that my fingers were covered with sweat. She didn't even seem to notice. Dennis stood next to her, his hands in his pockets. He gave me a small smile.

I grimaced in return.

"This is my older brother, Dennis. He's in your class."

"I know." I almost felt bad, almost.

Dennis looked at the ground, his ears pink.

"Did you grow up around her?" Zelda asked.

"Yes." I was tired of the conversation. I had better things to do on a Saturday afternoon then spend time talking to a name thief. I walked away, but Zelda followed me, Dennis trailed after her and gave me sympathetic looks.

Zelda continued to talk. I increased my speed. She just talked faster, never missing a step. Her family was from the next city over. They relocated here because their mom got a better job. The conversation never slowed and a mile later, when I reached the park, my ears were exhausted. Instead of going to the playground as I planned, I just sat down on the grass under the shade of a tree. Dennis sat down, a few feet away, half in the shade, half out. Zelda, thank goodness, ran to the swings.

"Sorry. I know it's got to be hard. I can always go by my middle name."

"Middle name?"

"Yeah," Dennis sounded rather reluctant and I risked a glance over at him. He was picking the grass at his legs. I could already see his skin was pink from being in the sun. I hate sunburns. I shifted over and gestured with my head. He inched completely into the shade.

"My middle name is Aragorn."

"Aragorn?" Not a number? Weird. It had been the same with Zelda.

"Yeah."

"I've never heard of that name before."

"Really?" Dennis's face brightened a bit. "He's a character in a book my parents like."

"A book? Your name came from a book? But shouldn't you be Dennis 69?"

Dennis shrugged. "My parents said they didn't want the government deciding the names of their children. I guess technically I am suppose to be Kevin since I was the 22nd boy born. There isn't a Kevin 69. I just never thought I would meet the real Dennis. My name is Dennis Aragorn Clement."

"Aragorn." I rolled the name around my tongue. "So what kind of person is he?"

As Dennis told the story, I leaned back on the grass and stared up at the trees. I could hear Zelda laughing as she swung but the majority of my attention was fixed on Dennis.

"And Aragorn becomes king at the end."

"Does he get to marry his girlfriend?"

"Yep."

"Aragorn is awesome. Could you imagine living with elves and dwarves."

Dennis laughed. "I guess so. But I mean it is so odd. I've seen how people treat Zelda. I liked the idea of having a normal name. One that no one would mispronounce or misspell. No one treated me any differently. I seem normal. Well, until we moved here."

I looked over at him and he gave a shrug.

"But if it makes it easier for you, I'll go by Aragorn," he said.

I opened my mouth, glad he understood how I felt, and then shut it again. I knew exactly how he would be treated if he went by Aragorn, I mean it was how I had treated him earlier. How everyone in school had treated him. That wasn't really fair. I leaned back and stared back up at the trees.

"Dennis," Zelda called. "I think we need to head home."

"I'll see you at school," Dennis said and stood up.

I gave a half wave but remained where I was. What would it be like? Having a name because your parents liked someone, not because of your birth order? The sun set and I ran home, late for dinner. As I approached the house I heard my mother.

"Dennis! Dennis 69! You'd better get home this instant! You are in so much trouble!"

At that moment, I decided any name would be better than my own. Maybe I would change my name to Gimli.

2 comments:

  1. This is a fun story I like the end the best where he decides he may like Gimli. What an interesting idea though hmmmm gets me thinking,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete