29 January 2012

*The Art of Conversation

Intro: I loved the idea of two people speaking the same language without actually speaking the same language.

Orifel felt someone tap her shoulder and looked up. A tall man with white hair stood there, a grin plastering his face

"Xewdan, I'm glad you made it," Orifel said. She always loved signing his name a combination of silver and distinguished. When she finished she scooted over making room on the bench.

"Did you wait long?" His long fingers danced in a way that no one else's did.

"I have a good book."

Xewdan took the tablet from her and flipped through a few screens. He handed it back. "Nice pictures."

Orifel laughed and tucked it in her bag. "Are you ready for our date?"

"Date? I didn't realize this was a date."

"What would you call it?"

"A social execution."

Orifel laughed. "I think you meant excursion."

Xewdan frowned and formed both signs mouthing the words. He asked, "What did I say?"

She explained it and he laughed.

"I hope it doesn't turn into an execution," he said. "But it would be exciting."

She stood up and slung her bag over her shoulder. As they walked down the sidewalk they continued the conversation. Orifel talked about her experience at her new job cataloging at the library while Xewdan explained his research at the college. They laughed about the last year's experiences as she taught Xewdan to sign. They passed a few people on the streets who eyed them. Orifel knew it was because people didn't often see someone from Vexanar walking with someone from Puliry. She only came to his shoulder and her pink hair and pale complexion was a stark contrast to his orange eyes and reddish complexion. Their races lived on opposite sides of the galaxy from each other.

Xewdan held the door for her. Once inside the aquarium Xewdan led the way to the first display. Never before had an aquatic exhibit of this nature been to the moon base.

"I've never seen a whale before," Orifel said.

"Did you know they sing? Some of them do, anyway."

Another exhibit.

"Look at the penguins," Xewdan stepped closer to the glass.

"They keep their eggs on their feet away from the cold."

The last exhibit left them both breathless.

"This is what a garteous looks like?"

Xewdan stepped closer to her his eyes flashing between her hands and the exhibit.

"I had no idea they were so small."

The dark room made it hard to see his reply and she stepped closer as she replied.

"Do you think I can take one home?"

"I'll help you get one if you let me come and visit her," Xewdan said.

"Why not get two and then we can breed them."

"I like your thinking."

He tapped her shoulder. "They just announced the exhibit is closing."

She nodded and glanced at her watch. "I need to be getting to work anyway. I'll see you tomorrow?"

Orifel had to run to make it on time to the library. The head librarian frowned. "You're late."

"Sorry," Orifel didn't know what she sounded like. She had been deaf since birth and used her voice as little as possible, one reason why she appreciated Xewdan's friendship. He didn't require her to speak and had made an effort to learn how to sign. She paid close attention to the librarian's mouth as he continued.

"I need you to do some translation for me if you have time. We just got some Vexanar documents in and if you could catalog them."

"I don't speak Vexanarist," Orifel replied.

"But your friend, isn't he a Vexanar? I've seen you with him."

"Yes, but we only sign to one another. He doesn't know Puliranian."

"But he signs to you." The librarian frowned and Orifel shrugged.

"What does that have to do with what language he speaks?"

The librarian rubbed his forehead. "What did you do today?"

"Social execution."

He paused. "Never mind. Forget I asked."

Orifel laughed and logged it away in her mind to tell Xewdan when she saw him later.


4 comments:

  1. We liked it! We loved the conversation at the end with the librarian. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it. I had fun writing it.

      Delete
  2. That is a fun story. The librarian doesn't sound very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just trying to make the librarian sound confused. I can see how he sounds mean especially at the beginning.

      Delete