04 January 2012

Summer Employment Part 4

My senior year of high school I got my first real job. It was working at a wholesale nursery and I was one of the only girls and one of the oldest. In the spring months that gave me the advantage. My boss figured I was responsible and when the semis came in with the bundled saplings ready for planting. I had all the paper work and kept track of the trees as they were planted in the pots by the other employees.

In the summer my job changed. When we weren't loading the trucks with orders, we weeded pots. This nursery had hundreds of trees and bushes all planted in their own individual pots. I used to think weeded in the flowerbed was bad until this job. We couldn't really kneel down because there wasn't enough room in the aisle between the rows of plants. We kind of moved along in a hulking crouch. It took about four days to work through all of the pots and then we started over at the beginning all summer long for eight hours a day. I still hate weeding and I keep telling myself that it isn't as bad as the job, but it is still weeding. At this time I didn't like getting up early and if I remember correctly I had to be at work by 6, maybe it was 6:30. There wasn't any point in showering beforehand because I would come back filthy from the dirt and mud. I would roll out of bed at 5:50 and drive to work. That seems like a luxury now.

This is where I really learned to appreciate audio books. This is also where I learned the hazards of reading a book before going to see the movie version. I also listened to a variety of books that I wouldn't have otherwise because they were the only ones I had on hand at the time. The job overall wasn't bad but I don't want to do it again. I just don't do well in the sun or heat. I make my husband weed and I normally clean the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment