18 January 2012

Cinnamon Rolls

I love to cook, that doesn't necessarily mean that I am any good at it. I have a wonderful husband who does most of the cooking. He is better at planning meals out so when we go shopping we pick up all of the ingredients in one go. Most of the time when I did the cooking I would look in the cupboards and just throw stuff together. I didn't often plan out five meals from different cook books. I gave my husband two different cookbooks for Christmas and I was really worried because I didn't want him to take it the wrong way. He was really excited about them. In addition to Oriental and Amish cooking we now have Indian and Italian.

I have mentioned before that I like to make cakes. I have learned since moving that I can't just make cakes directly from the recipe. I now live at 6,500 feet and I have to learn how to work with high altitude cooking. So far none of my cakes have really turned out, which makes me sad. Because none of my cakes turn out, and because my husband prefers cookies, I haven't made pastries lately.

We didn't have time to go to the grocery store on Saturday and we don't shop on Sundays. I was trying to decide what I could make Sunday that we could also eat for breakfast on Monday. I made cinnamon rolls. Dessert and breakfast, the perfect solution. Years ago my little brother gave me a cookbook that has a lot of basic recipes in it is a recipe for sweet rolls. I used to make them when I was in college but my yeast never worked. I looked at the recipe and decided to give it a go.

I looked at the list of ingredients and put in what I wanted and how much I wanted. I used brown sugar instead of white when rolling it up and mimicked the caramel that my mom's recipe uses, which I don't actually have. My first success was when the dough actually rose. I placed the rolls in the pan and stuck it in the oven until the tops were light brown. I pulled it out and though they looked good, I knew from experience that the looks don't matter. They tasted better then I hoped they could. I think I have a keeper recipe, if I can only remember what I did. Hmmm. . .

2 comments:

  1. What's funny is he doesn't remember giving you the cook book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not surprised. He gave it to me 7 or 8 years ago. I think it was my first Christmas in college. It has a lot of good basic recipes.

      Delete