11 January 2012

Isolation

I have recently started taking a kickboxing class at the local gym. I really enjoy the class but the downside is that I have to get ready for work at the gym. I have never felt very comfortable in any locker room. I think the majority of the population agrees with me. Luckily, since I am at the gym so early in the morning there aren't many people who are there. Thank goodness.

This last couple of times there has been a woman who talk to me while I'm in there. At first I felt rather awkward. However, the other day she starting telling me quite a bit of information about what was going on in her life. I was taken aback at first but after as the day went on I realized how cool it was. I don't even know her name. It didn't matter in the long run, she just needed someone to talk to and I happened to be there.

I think that technology has caused us to live more isolated lives. We just stuff our headphones in our ears and live in our own world. I remember a time when my older sister and I rode the bus into the city to visit our dad. As we rode the bus home there was a lady who was hilarious. She talked to everyone, and even convinced the bus driver to take a different route to save time. When I rode the bus to work I made a point of having my headphones because I didn't want to listen to what the kids were saying but on the ride home I made several friends. There are times I enjoy the isolation but other times I try to make more of an effort to interact with the world around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment