08 January 2012

*Communication

Intro: I know that miscommunication can be a big plot point in novels but there are times I just want to strangle the characters because they are so dense. I want to think I am better than these characters but I am not so sure. Sorry this is posted late. I didn't have access to internet this weekend.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid." I slam the book shut and let it drop to the floor.

"What's wrong this time, Jen?" my roommate Becky asks.

"These characters they are totally idiots. The entire conflict of the book revolves around miscommunication."

"So the lovebirds in the book—"

I cut her off with a howl and shake my head. "They just don't talk. This isn't realistic at all."

Our other roommate pokes her head in our room. "Don't you have a class to get to?"

"Holy crap," I lunge to my feet, scoop up my bag, and run out the door.

While I like that we live in a quiet part of the campus, it meant that I couldn't just roll out of bed and walk across the street. It was a fifteen minute brisk walk to reach my class. I pick up my pace and I slide into my seat just as the professor gets up. I sit up straighter as I catch a whiff of aftershave. Neal lets out a breathy hello as he sits down two minutes into the lecture. Our professor glares at him for a second and Neal gives an abashed grin. I can't help but smile but I turn the other way so he can't see.

Class ends and I am not sure what it was about. Neal's comments during the entire lecture kept me chuckling and his aftershave. It is like a drug. I looked forward to it every day. We have the same major and he is in four of my five classes. He sits next to me in them. I am surprised that I am still passing the classes.

"Jen, do you want to have lunch and go over our notes for our afternoon class."

More than ever. Yes. I have been waiting for this day. And my mouth says, "I have a few things I need to take care of."

Neal gives me a small smile. Oh, I love his smile. The first day he talked to me I went home and gushed to my roommates about the hot guy who was interested in plain old me. Three months into this semester and he is still talking to me despite everything I say.

"I'll catch you another time."

"I'll see you later."

I head back to my apartment on cloud nine. When I get back I flop back down on my bed and pick up my book. The irritation from the morning floods back and I find myself mentally yelling at the stupid characters. I read three pages and then let the book fall to my lap. I run out the apartment and once again slide into my chair just as the bell rings. Neal looks up from his desk and the sides of his eyes crinkle as he smiles. So handsome.

We sit in the middle of the auditorium and once again throughout the whole lecture Neal whispers comments about the lecture. I find myself burying my head in my arms to stifle my laughter. The lecture ends and I stand up to put my books in my bag.

"We have a test tomorrow, do you want to study over pizza?"

I hear the excuse why I can't and watch the smile vanish. He shoulders his backpack and heads out of the auditorium. I guess I will be spending the night reading—I can't believe it.

"Neal!"

He turns as I run up to him.

"Neal. I like you. I would love to have dinner with you."

"You like me?"

"Yes. I want to get to know you better."

He lets out a laugh. "This is awesome. I didn't know if I was bothering you or not."

"Never. Sorry I didn't tell you earlier."

"Can I kiss you?"

I step back my face flushing. "Um — maybe we should have a date first."

"Just checking."

"Feel free to ask again though."

No comments:

Post a Comment