27 January 2012

A World Without Heroes (Beyonders #1)

by Brandon Mull

Where do I start? I loved the FABLEHAVEN series and have been looking forward to A WORLD WITHOUT HEROES for months. This is the first book in Brandon Mull's new BEYONDERS series. I got my audio copy from the library the day it came out (last year) and started listening to it on my drive to and from work. I would even sneak a few minutes in here and there to listen to it. This book really made my day. The basic story is about Jason and Rachel who are transported from our Earth to another dimension. There they learn of the evil infesting the land and choose to go up against the evil overlord when few will.

One of my few complaints of the FABLEHAVEN series was in the beginning Seth was too rebellious and seemed to be disobeying orders because he could and that Kendra has no backbone. In BEYONDERS, however, I really liked the main character, Jason. I saw his reasoning what he did and agreed with him even when he made his decisions against the advice of others. The other main character in this story is Rachel. I wasn't sure how I felt about her at first, since she had this strong feminist attitude about life, but as the story went on, I really grew to appreciate her cleverness and understanding of the situation.

A WORLD WITHOUT HEROES kept my attention through the whole thing. I also really enjoyed the voice actor in the audio version. I liked the various voices he used and thought he brought the characters and setting to live. I highly recommend this book to anyone, but I will also add that it is a little more violent than what I expected but nothing too descriptive to be off putting. Once again Brandon Mull has drawn me into another great world and situation and I can't wait for the next one. I am counting down the weeks until March 13th. I posted this review in preparation to reading the next one in a month and a half. I'll post the review to SEEDS OF REBELLION when I finish it.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun read I know my kids loved the Fablehaven series

    ReplyDelete