02 January 2012

Writing Groups

I know that some people are very particular about their writing groups. I didn't think I was but I have come to understand that there is an advantage to picking your own group. I love my current group but there isn't as much time, and we don't all have the same interests. While it isn't necessary for your writing group to be writing the exact same type of book you should make sure that those in the group at least like what you are writing and understand the audience. I don't necessarily want someone writing a cook book who only reads motivational novels reading my hard science fiction novel. They probably don't understand all of the little nuances that you are trying to accomplish.

I had a writing group where I previously lived that was awesome. They didn't necessarily help me with my grammar, I had another group for that, but they helped me reach my weekly goals and keep my story going in the right direction. Every week we would meet somewhere around town and explain what we had accomplished. I really needed that because it was the nudge I needed to work on my novel and not just my blog or short stories.

Writing groups are for a variety of uses so you should find people who want to get the same thing out of it that you do. I recommend finding people who won't sugar coat their opinions but those who are also positive. Having people that write similar genres or at least read a lot of what you are writing. Though those who don't write may not understand what it is like to receive critiques. If you are satisfied with a group, you can always find a new one. There are plenty of writing groups online if you live in a remote area or don't mind more screen time.

2 comments:

  1. I agree it was an awesome group and I wish it was still going. It was very motivational and supportive which is what I needed after all the critiques (all be they excellent critiques) from the other group. Each group had its place and was needed for what it provided. Hopefully that makes sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss our group too. It was the group that motivated me to actually write on my novels and not just my short stories. Best of luck with your writing goals this year.

    ReplyDelete