25 January 2012

Younker vs. Yonkers

I have a fairly unusual last name. It isn't one of a kind, but not a lot of people have heard of it where I live. My husband's family pronounces it "yonker" though traditionally it is suppose to be "yunker" and it at one point in history was probably spelled with a "j" instead of a "y." Because of how it is pronounced, most people don't know how to spell it when we just say it. Most people assume that it is "Yonkers" as in the city in New York. I don't know if I want to admit it but I had no idea that Yonkers, New York existed until I got married. Part of this can be traced back to how my husband tend to introduce us "Hi, we're the Younkers." I try and make an effort to say "Hi I'm E Younker and this is my husband Moose Younker." This seems to help until the next time we are introduced and when they try to remember who we are the only thing that comes to mind is Yonkers.

The other day I went to writing group. A new fellow was there and was introduced to everyone. I introduced myself as "E Younker." The man looked at me for a moment. "How do you spell that?" I spelled it out for him. He nodded. "I see. Like the city." I am sure I stared at him dumbfounded for a moment before saying. "No. Not like the city." This is the first time that I have spelled it out and the person still says it is like the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment