25 July 2012

A Child's Perspective

This weekend we went to the zoo. As Moose and I walked around Moose made the comment that we were probably only one of a few couples that didn't have children. We had a great time. The animals were more active than I anticipated. The polar bear was swimming circles. Even the tigers were playing in the water. They have really large teeth. My favorite part of the day was going to see the monkeys. We were standing back watching the spider monkeys. There were two brothers who were watching the monkeys. One turned to the other: "Spider monkeys are poisonous."

"They are? How do you know?"

In my mind I answered the question as a child would. "Because they are spiders."

Instead the brother answered. "Because they have sharp teeth."

I am around children fairly often and though I can anticipate their reactions it always amazes me how their minds work. They don't take the easy way. They think a lot about what they do and they all have their own logic. I hope that as I continue writing I can take a child's perspective to increase my creativity and broaden my view.

No comments:

Post a Comment