23 July 2012

Family Relations

I have an unusual family. It's not just because we have some unusual interests (I mean I grew up without watching much television and instead spent my time reading. Very few of my friends liked to read and the other kids in my school thought I was odd because I carried a book around with me.) There are five children in my family and the amazing thing is, we all get along. There are a few instances in my childhood when we didn't get along, but I don't ever remember truly disliking any of my siblings. I am also happy to say that my parents have been married for over thirty years.

I bring this up for several reasons. A lot of movies and books show discord between siblings. This is true in a lot of instances, but it isn't always the case. The movie MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO shows two little girls who actually get along really well, and the amazing thing is, there is still plenty of tension. There are times when having tension between siblings is appropriate. (Heirs often come to mind.) But sometimes it is nice to have the siblings support one another and I think it really reflects well on the characters.

The other thing is two parents being around. I remember attending a panel on no more dead moms. Once again a lot of people use a dead parent to draw sympathy, or to give the child freedom. A single working parent is easier to sneak away from. This kind of goes back to my post on adults in young adult stories. A parent is a good way to give advice and it can add a moral compass for the youth character. I'm not saying that every book needs to have a happy family relation, but it is something to consider on the development of your characters. (Think of the Weasely family as a good example.)

No comments:

Post a Comment