06 July 2012

Gifts and Consequences

by Daniel Coleman

GIFTS AND CONSEQUENCES is not like Daniel Coleman's YA books, unless you count the fact that it is also well-written, has developed characters, and a gripping plot. This is a contemporary fiction novel. No magic or Wonderland involved. This book is about human nature, both good and bad. While in my mind everything is possible it isn't necessarily realistic. I can't see it actually coming to fruition, though now that I've said that I'll probably read about something like this happening somewhere.

The story is about Jonathan, a philanthropist who is forced to watch his wife's descent into Alzheimers. He makes her a promise to help individuals in her memory. She was a very generous person in her lifetime and it brought her joy. She wants him to feel that same joy and peace when she is gone. But, Jonathan's idea of a gift comes with strings attached. He sets rigid rules and the gifts are only given if all the rules are followed. If anyone breaks the rules a consequence is enforced. The consequence is normally worse than the situation that called for the gift.

GIFTS AND CONSEQUENCES looks at human nature and it made me ask: What lengths would I go to for what I want most? Jonathan is not a devil collecting souls and granting wishes. But he is no saint. There were times that I wanted to knock some sense into him because he was playing too much with lives. Other times I wanted to knock some sense into some of those receiving gifts. Overall, this book really made me think and I enjoyed getting to know some of the characters. Not everyone will enjoy this book because it doesn't have deep character development, but it is more of a philosophical book that makes you question your own limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment