27 July 2012

Pendragon

by D. J. MacHale

I remember first seeing PENDRAGON in the university bookstore. The cover looked interesting, but I decided to read FABLEHAVEN instead (which is another series that I highly reccomend). A couple of months after that I went to a book sale where I found the first PENDRAGON at a good price. I was hooked from when I first started. The only problem was that at the time there were only five books out. I had to wait for them to come out, and I bought them as they came out in paperback. My husband actually gave me books 7 and 8 as a wedding present and then a couple of years later he gave me 9 and 10. (There are ten books in the series.) I would also like to add that my husband who is not a big reader, has read 7 of these and is working on the 8th.

PENDRAGON is about Bobby Pendragon who is a traveler. His Uncle Press shows up on his doorstep one night asking for help and Bobby is thrown into an adventure, in another dimension, called territories. They travel by flume and though they know which territory they will end up in, they don't know when they will end up. They aren't the only travelers. Every territory has its own traveler, though they don't always help the situation. And then there is Saint Dane, the villain who's goal is to destroy the territories and therefore destroy Halla. The story is told in two parts. Bobby's friends, Mark and Courtney explain what happens back on Second Earth. Even their lives are altered by what happens on the other territories.

In PENDRAGON, every territory is different. One is a water world. One is a past earth. One is desert. One is world of games. The majority of the books are well contained with just a teaser as to where he will be going in the next book. With each book Bobby and his friends age, though Bobby faster than his friends. I found the books to be a great introduction to some of the darker science fiction out there and they ease the readers into some of the darker themes as the books progress. My favorite book is THE NEVER WAR though THE QUILLAN GAMES is a close second. D. J. MacHale presents so many interesting ideas in this series. I only posted two covers the first and the tenth. THE MERCHANT OF DEATH is the original cover. THE SOLDIERS OF HALLA is a new design they've released.

The Merchant of Death
The Lost City of Faar
The Never War
The Reality Bug
Black Water
The Rivers of Zadaa
The Quillan Games
The Pilgrims of Rayne
Raven Rise
The Soldiers of Halla

No comments:

Post a Comment