20 July 2012

The Blue Faience Hippopotamus

by Joan Grant
illustrations by Joanne Fitzgerald

THE BLUE FAIENCE HIPPOPOTAMUS is one of those children's books that I love. My paternal grandfather was an educator. He often gave us picture books that he found through work. The story is sweet and the pictures are amazing. It is a long picture book, when you compare it to a lot of more recent publications, but I don't think that should dissuade anyone from reading this book to their child.

A hippopotamus who lives on the Nile falls in love with a beautiful princess. He loves her from afar and learns all he can about her. Another animal explains that there is a magician who lives in a cave that will grant anyone a wish. When the hippopotamus arrives at the cave the magician asks what he wants. The hippopotamus explains what he wants and the magician turns him into a little blue faience hippopotamus. From there the hippopotamus is given to the princess where he lives in her care. Only he learns more about her than he knew before and he would do anything to help her achieve her dream, even if it means losing his own happiness.

A couple of years ago I went to an Egyptian exhibit. I really enjoyed the exhibit, but what I loved the most was the fact that in the gift shop I found a blue faience hippopotamus. It looks remarkably similar to book and I ended up purchasing it. THE BLUE FAIENCE HIPPOPOTAMUS is a sweet book and gives a good message about selflessness. The pictures are gorgeous and it will be a story that sticks with you through the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment