08 August 2011

*After the Rainbow

Intro: Sorry this story is late. We moved this weekend and I no longer have internet access at home. I am hoping to post my stories on Saturday. This week will be the test. I always thought that Dorothy and the Scarecrow should have ended up together. I know there have been multiple stories and versions of what has happened to Oz after Dorothy left, but this is what I wanted to happen. I changed up a few things so it isn't just a straight fan fiction.

Crow ran his hands through his hair twisting one of the strands in his fingers. The blueprints for the new hospital rested on the table in front of him. He had been through the numbers multiple times and new most of them by heart, but his heart just wasn't into it.

"The project is a go," he said gathering up all of the papers. "Get your team on it."

He handed the papers to the man diagonal from him. His orange hair made him stand out but the piercings with rings and chains up his ears drew more attention.

"Will do. I'll pass all the receipts on to you."

"Thanks, O'Neil."

"Anything for you, fearless leader. Anything else you need from us?"

Crow glanced at the other man at the table. His blond hair contrasted sharply with his dark blue eyes. He could see the question his two comrades had for him. Meeting their gaze was impossible, and he had just given away the papers he'd been staring at for hours.

"She's gone and not coming back. I know that. I just need to move on," his breath almost caught and he cursed himself.

O'Neil and Timothy both stood up, their hands full of the papers to get the new hospital up and running. Two years ago when Ruth dropped into their lives they were different people. They had only tolerated each other because of Ruth. For three years they had done everything they could to help her get home. And now they were they planning a hospital for the town that they took charge of when Ruth left.

Timothy turned back at the door, "Let me know if you need anything."

Crow nodded and gave a small half smile. Timothy's voice was smooth, something he put to use in his previous life as a conman. Now Timothy was the PR person of the group. He was the face of the triad.

With the other two gone, Crow headed to his office. The room was dark, how he liked it, but it also made him crave a joint. He'd dropped out of high school getting into drugs and though he kept his addiction under control he excelled in the dealing business. There were a couple of times he nearly lost it all, for refusing to sell, but in the long run he was good at his job. Money went far in his hands and he was the one that had proved to the other two that the town could afford building such a large hospital.

O'Neil had been an Irish gangbanger and now ran the physical side of the business. They accented each other perfectly and Crow couldn't image how the three of them hadn't gotten along.

"But something's missing. I feel like half of me is missing," he said to the dark. "Home offered her more than I could. And I can't blame her. She's gone and I have to move on."

He stood up and moved to the glass looking out at the lights over the city. Someone moved down the street in an almost dancing manner. A large hound bounded around her. He didn't even realize he was running towards her until he plowed her over in a hug.

"Um—"

He backpedaled raising his hands in the air. "Sorry, sorry. I thought you were someone else."

She brushed a stand of black hair from her and gave a little laugh. "I am suddenly envious of this someone else." The dog bounded around her and Crow crouched down, holding out his hand.

"I'm Carrie," she said, "and this is Jack."

"I'm Crow. I am, well, the financial adviser of the triad."

"I know exactly who you are. Do you remember me?"

He glanced up and gazed at her face in the dark.

"No. I'm sorry."

She let out a little breath, "Thank goodness."

A smile tugged at his mouth. "Are you going to tell me?"

"You refused to sell to me and I owe you my life. I have always wanted to thank you. I don't want you to remember me as the addict but as who I am today. So, thank you." She gave a little bow and then turned to leave. "I'll let you go."

Crow stood up and rocked back on his feet. "Would you like to go on a walk? Jack looks like he would like to. So long as you don't mind who I was in my past."

"I would like that."

Crow smiled for the first time in a year. Carrie was not Ruth and that was what excited him the most.

"Do you know what I love about rainbows," Crow said following after Carrie and Jack. "That the rain is over."

2 comments:

  1. That is a fun twist on the story and I like how you incorporated their challenges into modern problems. It's so hard reading your stories because I always want more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you enjoyed the story. I don't think this story is going to go anywhere, but I never know. There may come a time when I want to expand it.

    ReplyDelete