01 August 2011

Characters vs Plot

I have a variety of writing buddies and there are some significant differences between how we write. I come up with plot first and then characters. It is the plot that drives my stories. I have a friend that comes up with her characters first. With any story that she has written she can give you the backstory of all of her characters as well as their ancestors and best friend's dog. The same is true with readers. Some read because they want to know what happens. Some people read because they want to spend time with the characters. (And most of the time it is a combination of both.)

The biggest thing to remember is that whichever way you write, not to neglect the other one. I have to put a lot more effort into my character development. My friend focuses so much on character development she has a hard time keeping a plot line going through a whole book. Either way, finish the story and then in the rewrite add the details about the plot or the characters.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I am looking for book review blogs to link to on my blog, and Josh Hoyt suggested yours. Hope you don't mind if I add it!

    KarenG

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. I think it is very important to keep the two balanced. I talk a lot about characterization but I'm with you plot comes first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the long run it doesn't matter, so long as the story is completed. (Plus isn't that we have writing groups to help us with the weakness we have. I you, Josh, to thank for my characterization.)

    Karen, thanks. I am looking forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete