05 August 2011

The Way of Kings

by Brandon Sanderson

In honor of it being two years since I started this whole online presence, I am reviewing one of my all-time favorite books.

THE WAY OF KINGS by Brandon Sanderson takes epic fantasy to the next level. The characters are well developed and varied from a soldier slave to the uncle of a king to a female scholar. You grow with the characters and there are a couple of places in the book where I just wanted to cheer with how good the characters are. The characters are realistic and yet he keeps the hope going.

The story line is complex and engaging. Some of the intricate plot lines include politics, warfare, romance, scholarship, and magic. A very, very brief summary: All of the countries are interested in weapons and armor known as Shardblades and Shardplate. They are the turning factor in every battle and every war. One country divides their people by the color of their eyes. One of the lowborn, Kaladin, is a spearman forced slave like no other and is not only concerned about his own life but the lives of those around him. Dalinar is on the other spectrum, uncle to the king and an owner of Shardblade and Shardplate. He is known for his strength in battle but news of his strange visions are spreading and people no longer remember what he has accomplished but think him a madman.

This book is the first in a series, and is currently the only book out. There are times I hate starting a series because I don't like waiting for the next book to come out because I am left with an empty feeling. This book doesn't answer all of the questions that are raised but the ending wraps up enough and leaves enough of a promise that I am satisfied. Another aspect that I love about this book, and what does Brandon Sanderson in general, is that this novel sexual grit or language that are often found in fantasy novels. The violence in the novel is not graphic or gratuitous.

This is a book that you will enjoy rereading because every time you read it you will pick up on something new.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great book I wish I had more time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book does take time. The first time I read it I was flying to Ohio and back. I had a lot of time on the plane as well as in airports to read. The second time I listened to it during my daily 2 hour commute to work. I got through it fairly quickly because I had nothing else to do.

    ReplyDelete