29 August 2011

Goals

Writing takes time and it isn't always easy to find the time needed not only to write, but to edit and submit as well. That is where setting goals comes in. Goals should be more than just "I want to be a published author." They need to be specific and have a timeline. So saying "I want to be a published author in five years," is better but since you can't control all of the variables it could be even more specific. The best goals are the ones that you control from beginning to end. For example I have weekly goals. I update my blog, write a flash fiction story, write a chapter in my novel, and try and edit 20 pages a week. All of these things I control myself. I also have more long term goals that will get me to my "I want to be a published author" goal. I have to submit something to an agent or a publisher at least four times a year.

When trying for anything, whether it is being an author, learning a new language, sewing, or even being a better parent, make sure to set goals that are specific, have a timeline, and that you are the determining factor.

2 comments:

  1. I am always working on being more goal specific. My big issue: follow through. So much to juggle in life! But I've got a new plan ... we shall see how I do. I'm optimistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with your plan. I need to revamp my goals. Life has managed to get in the way, again.

    ReplyDelete