15 August 2011

Critiques

I am going to talk about critiques because I have been writing a lot of critiques lately. One of my friends has a blog and posted some of his novel for his followers to read. He wanted their feedback, what he got back was a lot of comments that while were helpful, were more prone to be discouraging. I have noticed that when the critique is anonymous and has a large audience the comments tend to be more negatively focused. The other end of the spectrum is often seen when close friends or family are offering critiques and are overly glowing. Neither of these critiques are helpful.

I have been involved in a writing group for almost a year and a half and there are a few things that I have picked up in giving critiques as well as from critiques I've received. Make sure that you give useful feedback. Don't just make blanket statements but give reasons behind why you think something should be changed. Though there is value in offering critiques outside of the genre you write and read in, it seems to be best to stay with the genres you are most familiar with unless only offering grammatical help. Make sure to be positive overall. The last thing you want to do is crush someone's spirit. Writers need to develop thick skin but critiquers need to be professional in how they deliver their feedback. It is possible to be critical of the work and still inspire hope.

Remember that when you are giving a critique it doesn't matter if the writer is published or not. It doesn't matter if you are being paid for your services or not. It doesn't matter who you are, treat the writer with respect. If they don't like your critique then don't critique for the writer again but everyone involved should be courteous.

4 comments:

  1. The age of internet anonymity has changed how we critique. It's easy for people to bash other people's efforts whether it be Youtube, a blog, etc. Some people carry this over into critiquing.

    I have a professional artist friend who says that critiques should be brutal. That if someone doesn't have strong enough desire to create to be able to take some criticism, they don't belong in the field. I don't agree with him on that point. Critiques should include the good along with the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had some brutal critiques and if they don't have anything that gives me hope, I am not likely to ask for the critiquer again. Especially if the person is only flaunting their knowledge. This is a fine line to walk.

    Thanks for the comment. You have given me some great critiques and I appreciate how you point out the little positive I do have in my stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sandwich method of critiquing. The bread is positive what you like about the piece. then you get to the meat where you put in some ways to improve upon the piece and then at the end you have the other piece of bread which is another point of what you like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sandwich method. I try to use it as well and I always try to write on the paper itself the parts I like. That way it is a written down and not just verbal which is easily forgotten.

    ReplyDelete