03 August 2011

Professionalism

As I mentioned in a previous week I have been watching a lot of cooking shows, most of which are the competition shows. (These are the only reality shows that I have ever spent any time watching.) What I have noticed is the difference in professional attitudes depending on the type of show. There are some people who despite it being a huge competition are very civil to one another. They work well together with the others and are in it to win and don't go out of their way to stick it to the others just because they can. Then there are the others. They are the ones who will rid themselves of all human decency in the name of competition.

There is a difference between being competitive and being bloodthirsty and to me. That is what defines someone as either professional or childish. I wonder what some people are thinking when they act the way they do in front of a camera. I mean come on; these people have to know how obtuse they look. I wonder how some of these people have survived to adulthood without being murdered by someone. It is this type of behavior that makes me nervous about my dream job. I never expect to be on a reality show but I hope that when I am given the opportunity to be in a limelight I can retain a professional attitude.

2 comments:

  1. I know you will. I agree with this it seems that people believe they are the only ones that matter. My wife and I were talking the other day about how replaceable we all are. So it is odd when people act as if they are not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very humbling thought to know how replaceable we are in the world. I would say that for your children, you are irreplaceable, and that is how it should be. Though there comes a time when other things may be a little more important, such as spouses and new families, you will always be your children's father.

    ReplyDelete