08 August 2011

Generating Ideas

I have been writing a short story almost every week for over a year. This April I even wrote on average a short story a day. I had a friend ask me how I could possibly come up with that many ideas. There isn’t some magical place that ideas come from. In all actuality I have learned that generating ideas is a skill that can be learned with a lot of practice. I have a notebook that I keep in my purse so when I do get an idea, I can write it down.

As to where the ideas actually come from I get a lot of them from other people’s comments. My husband will argue that a lot of my story ideas come from something he’s said. I also get ideas from books and movies that I’ve read. The trick is to put your own spin on things. We all come from different backgrounds and experiences. That will always influence what we write about. Not every idea has to be perfect just continue writing and it will get easier to come up with ideas.

2 comments:

  1. mANY TIMES i JUST SIT DOWN AND START WRITING TO GET THINGS GOING. i ALSO LIKE TO TAKE THINGS OFF WHAT OTHERS HAVE SAID AND WRITE ABOUT THEM TOO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could sit down and just start writing. If I do that I normally end up surfing the web or playing a game. I have to have a small measure of an idea of what I am going to write about.

    ReplyDelete